Christmas on the Brain



The kids and I baked spritz Christmas cookies last night.  They were having a ton of fun using the Wilton press – so easy!  All of a sudden, it hit me that next year we won’t be able to do this yearly cookie baking tradition while we’re on the road, and it got me to thinking about what else I’ll miss while we’re on the road:




  1. Obviously we will miss our extended family and friends - unless they want to meet us somewhere on the trip!  (Yes, this is your official invitation.)
  2. I know that I’ll miss my own bed and the convenience of a washer and dryer right off my kitchen.  
  3. I’ll miss an attached garage, or a garage at all for that matter.  
  4. I’ll miss knowing my way around town.
  5. Right now, though, I have Christmas on the brain…   Every year we make a big production out of cookies, and I’ll miss that.  Besides all the Christmas cookies we bake, we really get into decorating sugar cookies.  It’s been a tradition my mom started with us ever since I can remember, and now every year we continue the tradition with her.  
  6. Oh, and of course, I’ll definitely miss EATING them, too!
  7. I’ll miss the discovery in unpacking the decorations from the Rubbermaid containers and the fun of placing them around the house and on the tree, starting to set the stage for feeling like Christmas.   
  8. I’ll miss getting Christmas cards in the mail, seeing the pictures, and hearing the stories over the past year.  (Okay, maybe I won’t miss those few braggy ones.)
  9. I’ll miss decorating the Christmas tree and even more so, sitting on the couch in the evening with the fireplace on and a cup of hot cocoa in hand, admiring the lights.  
Mmmmh, maybe since I won’t be able to do that next year at all, I’d better take advantage of it more this year….I’m off to get some cocoa!

-The Mom

(By the way, it looks like the first state we will hit may work out to be Texas...  If you love Texas, please click here and tell us -and the rest of the world- what we need to do in Texas!  Thanks!)

1 comment:

  1. The gram will miss cookie tradition, too... LOTS!!!! And next year the littlest family member, Griffin, will be ready to squeeze his first icing tube... betting he will look a lot like his cousin, Dr. Dorito, did when he first started doing his awesome cookies.. still have an ancient picture of Dr. Dorito hanging on the fridge to prove his icing bag weilding skills when he was new little guy in the family.... way too long ago. ;)

    ReplyDelete