Resolving resolutions...


I was reading one of those obligatory end of year articles: the ones about New Year’s resolutions that you make and then break about a month later...if you’re lucky to make it that long. To make it worse for us, just how do you make New Year’s resolutions when you’re going to be taking a year long trip around the United States?

Many resolutions involve eating better and/or less in order to lose weight. Eating better on a year long trip? That makes me laugh. How do you eat better when you’ll eating out almost daily? Isn’t that an oxymoron? How do you eat less at restaurants, when they bring you heaping platefuls? When was the last time you ate a portion (a real portion, not a restaurant one) at a restaurant? Not to mention, how do you eat healthy when you’ll be visiting fast food joints, diners, drive-ins and all those other classic Americana places?

Another popular resolution is to exercise more. Yeah, like that’s going to happen on the trip! Which gym has locations in Eugene, OR and Bear, DE and everywhere in between?? Let me know, I’d love to join. Of course, we will be hiking in every state and walking around every tourist site from the Statue of Liberty to Alcatraz, but as far as working out - not so much, just lots of driving and walking and more driving and more walking.

Go green. Well, I’d love to, but it will be difficult while traveling. Sure, we’ll toss our plastic water bottles in a recycle bin when we find one, but it’s not like we’ll have our handy dandy recycling bin right there in the garage with curbside pickup like we do now. When you travel, convenience is key, so one of the first things to go will be being green; although, it will kill me to toss a water bottle or a cereal box or a newspaper in the garbage. What else are we going to do with it, though?

Wait, I think I’ve found it: spend more time with the family. Check! Now there’s a New Year’s resolution I can make and keep all year long. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ll have that one down after a year traveling together in close quarters…maybe a little too much!

(Thanks, by the way, for reading my obligatory end of year blog...)

-The Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment