BFF Whales

Today out of the blue, our daughter starts talking about how she’s excited about going to Sea World on our 365 day trip around the USA. I thought to myself, “Oh, the innocence…if only she knew about the recent tragedy of the trainer killed at Sea World.”

(Before I continue, I would like to express my sincere condolences to Dawn Brancheau’s family. It is a horrible tragedy, and this blog in no way is intended to diminish that or place any blame whatsoever on her.)

So how could this tragedy happen?  Let me come back to that.

Today, I signed a release form in order to allow our son to go rock climbing at an indoor silo. The release form was 2 pages long, and I had to initial each and every line. I had to agree that if he fell and died or became a paraplegic, even if it was due to negligence on their part, I wouldn’t sue or hold them responsible. All that, in order for my son to attend a friend’s birthday party.  I wondered if the Sea World trainer had to sign a release form.

A release form - to work with KILLER WHALES (technically dolphins).  Are they not called Killer Whales for a reason?  We don’t call them BFF Whales, after all.

Again, I’m not saying Ms. Brancheau did anything wrong, but rather we all did and continue to do so. We have lost our fear of the Killer Whales. We train; we become comfortable; and then one day out of the blue when no one suspects, the Killer Whale acts like the powerful Killer Whale that it is and kills an innocent trainer.

We do this with other things, too.

Take debt.  Little by little we take on more. Then one day it’s pulling us under, and we’re drowning in it - both as individuals and as a nation.

Take adultery and divorce.  Little by little, we text/facebook/email someone of the opposite gender other than our spouse.  Slowly, we get more familiar with the Killer Whale, I mean person, and then one day, we’re having an affair and getting a divorce, but yet we didn’t see it coming??  How can this be?

Maybe we just need to get some healthy fear back in our lives. Some fear to make us think about the consequences of our actions.

Now, if I could just stop worrying about my son while he’s rock climbing…

-The Mom (the practical one)

No comments:

Post a Comment