An Open Letter to Apple


Dear Mr. Jobs:

First I'm a big fan.  Now, I'm not one of those people with the Apple logo on my office door, nor do I believe that Mac's are the best thing for everyone, but I love what you have done with the Apple brand.  I am also a transplant recipient so we share a giant scar on our chests to impress the ladies.  In addition, I have gotten in trouble playing with my iPhone during a date with my wife so please understand I love Apple technology.

I am, however, concerned you are heading in the wrong direction with the iPad.  (Since we are both on Prednisone, I must warn you that a potential side effect is hearing voices...don't listen to them!)

I know there is pressure to stay in competition with the Kindle - I promise you it is not the way of the future.  While it IS very important that you get in on distribution and becoming a provider of media, the awkwardly sized Kindle or iPad is not the answer.  Frankly, I read my news AND KINDLE BOOKS on my iPhone.

As a business traveler and someone soon to be on the road for 365 days in a row, I want to help.

First, the most important technology lesson I have ever learned came from the movie City Slickers.  It's very simple - "One Thing."

As a college student, it's probably not a big deal to carry my phone and then another screen in a backpack, but as a business traveler I want "one thing."  It should take my calls, get my info, order my transplant meds, show me maps and videos, handle my banking, allow me to blog, listen to music, text, email, IM, play games, handle my conference calls with decent speakers, hook into a projector with my presentation...etc...etc...etc.  One thing.

You've almost got it with the iPhone.  You really just need to add a bigger screen and some more computing power (and longer lasting battery) without compromising size.

So here's where to focus - a foldable or rollable screen that acts like the iPhone when folded, then folds/rolls out into a larger screen with an onscreen keyboard for larger computing tasks and bigger video.  When it's folded up, though, it fits nicely in my dorky little phone holster.  One Thing.

You can go thicker to make it happen - but you are confined to make sure it fits in my hand when I'm using it just as a phone.  I so look forward to unrolling/unfolding this puppy at my favorite WiFi spot and getting to work.

It's not easy.  Folding and rolling may not be feasible for current screen technology and you may have to look at creating seamless screen sections that pull from a case for a larger screen.  All I can offer is two words to get you started..."transparent aluminum."

Live long and prosper, Mr. Jobs.

- the dad

No comments:

Post a Comment