Maine - Tastes like Chicken

Click For All Maine Pics and More Maine Stuff

In Maine we "mainely" stayed at our cottage. We did go to Fort Knox, Thurston's Lobster Pound, and the Penobscot Observatory.

Fort Knox is not the fort with all the gold, but it is still an awesome fort. It was in operation during the Civil War. We were able to walk around the fort. It was amazing how thick the walls are. Their cannons were at least seven feet long and fired huge cannon balls. The fort never saw action, but if it had it would have sunk any ship. The architecture and everything was awesome. I especially liked the upper section with millions of cannons.

Thurston's Lobster Pound is a restaurant all about lobster. When you walk in and order, you can pick out your lobster personally. Then you tell the clerk how you want it cooked. After that you wait. It's about a thirty minute process, but when you finally get your lobster, they also give you a free bib. Once you have the bib on, you're ready to eat. Whichever parent told me it tastes like chicken has got it all wrong. I could say it tastes like duck though. Besides the taste, the other thing I don't like about lobster is the work. Lobsters have very tough shells. When I go to a restaurant, I want my meal made for me. That brings up the second problem which is the edibility. When I get my meal on a plate, I want it to be one hundred percent edible, but at this restaurant they give you some fast instruction, then you're on your own to eat anything, including inedible things on the plate. I think after that, I am done with lobster.

The Penobscot Observatory is right next to Fort Knox. It is four hundred and twenty feet in the air and is currently the tallest public bridge observatory. We went up, and it was scary because you could feel the tower swaying a little bit with the wind.

We stayed at a cute, little cottage in Maine. It had two bedrooms, a kitchen, a small living room, and a dining room. It was an improvement, though, from our hotel living. I especially enjoyed having a kitchen. We don't usually get to cook on the road, so that itself was a treat. My chipotle sandwich was my favorite. Another benefit was having a big dining room table to play games. We played Scrabble, Catch Phrase, Quadruple Solitaire, and Monopoly Deal. We don't usually have a big, square table in our hotel rooms. The third advantage was the separate bedroom from the parents, not that I haven't gotten used to my dad's snoring.

Maine was a fun-filled state. We ate some lobster and went to Fort Knox, the Penobscot Observatory, and a cottage. I think that Maine "maine-tained" its reputation as a good state.

No comments:

Post a Comment