Washington D.C. - Government Secrets


The District of Columbia was a fun week.  We went to the Lincoln Memorial, National Archives, Smithsonian Institution Building, US Capitol, Washington Monument, and the White House.

Walking up the steps to the Lincoln Memorial was really cool.  It is one of the first things that pop into my mind when someone says, "DC."  On the steps I enjoyed sitting and looking at the Washington Monument. Since Lincoln is from Illinois, he is my favorite president. His statue was huge, and in person it was that much larger. Mostly I've seen it in movies.

Inside the National Archives was really cool. Looking at the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution was a highlight of the week. Since it is a storehouse of history, it is that much cooler.  My favorite subject in school is history.

The Smithsonian Institution Building is the castle on the National Mall. Despite being an information center, it does have one fun thing. I call it an iTable. Playing many games on the iTable was fun. Since it has a touch screen, you can play special touch games, but you also can play a painting game or do a puzzle.  The point is that it was awesome.

I was surprised by how big the Capitol Building was. In the Capital Building we were able to go to so many places, like the Senate Hall. Thinking back, my favorite place was the old Congress meeting room. Apparently the room is shaped so that from John Quincy Adams' desk, he could hear private conversations from all the way across the room. Since it was so unbelievable, we tried it out, and it worked.

From the top of the Washington Monument the view was amazing. Since it is right next to so many other famous places, the view was even better. Thankfully they had an elevator, and Mom didn't make us do the stairs. I read about the history while we waited for the elevator. Sitting down after walking all around Washington helped my tired legs.

Waiting in line to tour the White House is terrible. The only thing that could make it worse is rain, and guess what it did while we waited to tour the White House! After you make it through security, it isn't that bad though. Since we have been to many museums, my dad decided to ask questions of some Secret Service agents. Apparently they have had to arrest someone for peeing in a corner of one of the rooms in the White House. That is why my dad and mom make Chloe and I ask questions whenever we visit a museum. You never know what you will find out.

D.C. was a great district, and it was that much better because it involved my favorite subject, history. I really enjoyed all of the activities. I would rather go someplace with beaches and not as much politics though. Now if you will excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom in a corner.

The Son

No comments:

Post a Comment