365 Day Trip Preparation: Chapter 1 - Banking

dollar

I hadn’t planned on switching banks already.  I was saving that for closer to the departure date, only because I didn’t want to switch over all those automatic withdrawals (you know:   the utility company, cable, newspaper, garbage, and on and on – all those things we won’t have on the road anyway).  I figured if I waited, I could just cancel them.

We need a bank we can move funds around easily with, that gives reasonable interest, has a monstrous ATM network, and potentially a sizable number branches across the USA.

Sometimes you just have to do something for the principle of it, though.  Today was such a day.  So a month earlier than planned, I bit the bullet and went to a new bank.  Why so early, you ask - so I wouldn’t be chastised by my old local bank. 

It all started last week when the ATM was down.  I needed cash so I drove over to the drive through and asked for some cash from our checking account.  Since I don’t carry around my bank account numbers, my social security number, or even my age and weight,  the teller looked the account up and sent the cash out. 

Little did I know for several days however that they pulled the money out of my husband’s Health Savings Account – a very bad thing that makes the IRS very unhappy.  Even worse, I’m not even on that account!

No big deal, right?  I’ll explain it, they’ll apologize, fix it, and I’ll be off.  Simple.  Right?

Not in today’s messed up customer service world.

The bank teller chastised me for not carrying around my account numbers and blamed  me for the problem!   No apology, not even an “oops.”

In fact, she told me how secure it was to carry around my account numbers.  What?!  I just drove up and got cash from an account I’m not even on, without you even knowing for sure who I was!

So today I guess I can check that item off my to-do list.  Open a national on-line bank account at a new bank we can get cash at from all over the country.  Check! 

At least if an online bank chastises me, it’ll be through email….

-The Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment