365 Day Trip Preparation – Chapter 7 Eating Strange Things


The last several months I’ve been careful of what I purchase at the grocery store - no weird spices or food that you use for a recipe you plan to make and never do or make once, and the rest of it sits there in the fridge or a cupboard for an eternity. Never the less, we still have those strange items sitting in our cupboards…What exactly did I buy cream of tartar and unflavored gelatin for?

Recently, I’ve been just buying milk, bread, and fresh fruits and veggies. It’s been interesting using up what’s in the cupboard. A few nights ago, we had pasta and a buffet of different toppings. I used the last of the pesto, the Son spiced up the last of the tomato sauce, the Dad used oil and parmesan as his topping, and the Daughter melted some cheese on top. Last night we had tacos and Spanish rice. Nothing strange there, but I didn’t have any more diced tomatoes for the rice like the box called for, so I used the remaining can of tomato paste. Interestingly enough, everyone seemed to enjoy the more intense flavor, and no tomato chunks made it appealing to the kiddos…and the Dad.

Tonight I’m depleting the last of the ground beef in the freezer to make BBQ and using rolls for buns. For veggies, we’re down to pretty much just corn – oh, and that frozen okra that’s been there since the beginning of time…except I’m not sure that I can ever make that more appealing to the kiddos or the Dad!

-The Mom

1 comment:

  1. Think I have a couple of similar "unknown" spices and that bag of unknown green stuff that lurks in the bottom of the freezer.... I have zero idea what I thought I would do with it long ago... when it may have been edible....oh, wait.. it's in the freezer that means it will keep FOREVER, right???

    In the bigger scheme, good fortune is smiling on you .... giving you this very unique opportunity to purge of all the mystery things in the cupboards and freezer. a clean slate... a good feeling!

    For me though, I think I will just save our "goodies" a little longer .... you may decide you just have to have them at the end of your trip and I would be most happy to pass them along to you. :)

    ReplyDelete