Arizona - The Battle

Well, it happened.  In Arizona, the hubby and I had our first fight of the trip.  


We made it to our second state before arguing.  I’m not sure if that’s good or pathetic, since we’re around each other 24/7!  As usual, it wasn’t over something earth shattering but rather over something so insignificant that later you wonder why you were arguing about it.  So here you have it, the first fight was over…drum roll please…what time is was.  


Yes, the time. It’s as simple as merely looking at your watch, but when you’re traveling from state to state, sometimes it can get confusing.  Regardless, with all the latest technology, you’d think the current time would be something we could figure out quickly and certainly not argue about.


Since the trip began, I’ve been using the alarm on my cell phone – something I’ve never done before the trip, but now I can’t live without my phone beside me while I’m sleeping!  Here I was, setting my alarm for 4:45 am to be up early to see the sunrise at the Grand Canyon.  This was not something I wanted to get wrong.  


Anyway, I noticed the time was an hour earlier than I thought it was.  I told the hubby that the time had changed, but he informed me that it didn’t switch from CO to AZ.  We adamantly went back and forth about this for some time.

Knowing my phone pulls the time from the nearest cell tower, I announced, “I think it’s 9:15.  Maybe you should call the front desk to see.”  (The hotel phone was on his side of the bed after all.)  “No,” he replied, “it’s 10:15,” and he didn’t pick up the phone.  Finally, after arguing for what seemed to be the same amount of time as we were discussing, he finally called the front desk and asked the question, “Ugh, what time is it?”  Can you guess what the front desk clerk replied?  “9:25”  As it turns out, AZ is in Mountain Time but does not observe Daylight Savings Time, essentially putting it on Pacific Time, so there you have it folks the end of the “What time is it?” dilemma.
 
Things improved in AZ after our first fight.  How could it not after viewing one of God’s greatest creations – the Grand Canyon?   The Grand Canyon and the Sedona area are, I believe, two of Arizona’s greatest, most beautiful, sites and shouldn’t be missed.
 
Being from Illinois, we also found the drive through the AZ desert scenery fascinating.  We especially loved the Saguro cactus, you know the ones with the funny arms!  I can see why it’s the AZ state flower.


Here are some of the highlights (and lowlights) in AZ:
Best Memory:   Watching the sunrise in the Grand Canyon while huddling together because of the cold.
Worst Memory:  Driving in the middle of nowhere to the Grand Canyon and a warning light comes on on the dashboard.
Best Restaurant:  Euro Café in Fountain Hills, AZ.  The food was good, but the atmosphere was the best part.  We sat outside on the patio and watched the fountain in the distance. 
Worst Restaurant:  Subway in Sedona, AZ.  The customer before us accidentally took our sandwich, and the sandwich artist got so mad he cussed, threw things around, and slammed out the front door looking for her.  I was honestly afraid that he might pull out a gun or something.  Almost as bad was corporate Subway’s response when we complained, “Sorry.”
Biggest Waste of Money:  National Geographic Imax movie and lunch in Grand Canyon
Best Deal:  $1 baby gelati at La Scala gelato shop in Fountain Hills, AZ…mmh!
Strangest Food:  grilled cactus pad (tasted like overdone green pepper)
Best Hidden Gem:  Slide Rock State Park.  It is located on the scenic drive between Flagstaff and Sedona.  Running through the park is a creek that you actually slide down on the smooth rocks!  (The son did want me to mention that it hurt a little bit, but the daughter must have a higher pain tolerance:  she didn’t think so.)   The scenery was so beautiful and the creek so much fun, that we had a wonderful afternoon there.   
Worst Closure:  4 Corners Monument was closed for renovation
We’re moving on to Nevada.  I wish we could have seen and done so much more in sunny, warm Arizona!


Click here to see our pics and learn more about Arizona



- Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment